Search This Blog

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Praying Psalm 35: Friends and Foes


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.

Psalm 35: Friends, Now Foes

Theme Verses: “Plead my cause, O LORD, with those who strive with me; fight against those who fight against me. . . . For without cause they have hidden their net for me in a pit, which they have dug without cause for my life. Let destruction come upon him unexpectedly, and let his net that he has hidden catch himself; into that very destruction let him fall.” Psalm 35:1, 7, 8 (NKJ)

As the song writer has written, "O where could I go, but to the LORD!" O Father, when former friends become determined enemies, how can I find deliverance except by your hand? In many circumstances, I am helpless in my own defense; you are my only help. You forbid revenge and violent self-defense; therefore, it is righteous for me to petition you that they be caught in the "nets" they have set for me. Whether they have sinned away their "day of opportunity" or need the severe rebuke of your chastening, may they know that you love me and are my defense (Revelation 3:9)! As I have prayed for them in time past, I continue to do so as Jesus instructed (Matthew 5:44). May the shame and consequences of their sins against me, bring them to humble repentance before you, that they may be restored into your presence and our friendship be renewed through your wonderful mercy and grace in Christ. Grant me the double joy of praising you, not for just your deliverance of me, and in their redemption also. May I shout, “Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.” (Verse 27)

Related reading:
Praying Psalm 31: Humbly Waiting on God
Praying Psalm 32: The Beatitude of the Redeemed
Praying Psalm 33: A National Prayer for Revival
Praying Psalm 34: God Redeems

No comments:

Post a Comment