Search This Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Praying Psalm 19


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.

Witness for Worship

Theme Verses: The heavens declare the glory of God; 
and the firmament shows his handiwork.

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (Ps. 19, verses 1, 7)


O Father, I do thank you for your Almighty Self! I especially praise you for the witness to your greatness and grandeur in the heavens. They give me a picture of the power and the greatness of your Person in obvious message, but without words. Throughout the earth and the heavens their witness shouts: "Our vastness in space and your microscopic but meaningful organization declare that power and intelligence of unimaginable proportions produced us! Their testimony impresses upon my soul what my unbelieving flesh cannot rationalize away. I see design beyond mere human hypotheses. My faith is strengthened. In the midst of the seemingly chaos of life, your works testify of organization and power. Only your almighty hands and mind could been the cause! When my heart is weak with life's tribulations, I see the abundant detail reflecting your infinite care everywhere.

As I accept my and all mankind’s smallness, my pride is humbled. I am inspired to sing: "How great you are!" However, upon viewing our littleness and the awfulness of sin's damage and destruction, I see a greater need! I see the need of your Son to save man and creation from the virus of sin and for a re-creation apart from its own corruption.

While the light of nature speaks greatly of your Person, power and order, it cannot show man your saving truth and power. Natural revelation is not the instrument for our salvation. Only the love letter of your Word become flesh speaks how salvation comes through faith in Jesus Christ. The New Testament especially reveals His Person and work as your provision for forgiveness and reconciliation through his substitutionary death for our sin on the cross and his victorious resurrection from the tomb. Furthermore, as I live in full harmony with you according to Your Word, spiritual order progressively replaces sin’s chaos within me. What peace and joy comes as we believe in your promises of a new Heavens and Earth apart from the curse of sin!

“Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.” Psalms 19:14


Related reading: Praying Psalm 1; Praying Psalm 2; Praying Psalm 3; Praying Psalm 4; Praying Psalm 5; Praying Psalm 6; Praying Psalm 7, Praying Psalm 8; Praying Psalm 9; Praying Psalm 10; Praying Psalm 11; Praying Psalm 12; Psalm 13; Psalm 14; Psalm 15; Psalm 16, Psalm 17; Psalm 18





No comments:

Post a Comment