Search This Blog

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Praying Psalm 7


Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.

Psalm 7
God's Righteousness, the Basis of Boldness


Theme Verse: “Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.” (Verse 6)


Father, I thank and praise you for David's example of the boldness of a godly man whose conscience was clear. How else could he have petitioned you for judgment upon his wicked enemies? Indeed you judge all men's hearts and minds. What a purifying frame of reference! Help me, Lord, to make this a constant motive to purify my heart and mind humbly before you, that I may boldly bring my petitions before you.

Father, even the life of David witnesses to the fact that the godly in heart are sinners before your holiness. Therefore, Lord, I am able come before you through the cleansing of Jesus' blood only and through the righteousness standing you grant to me through Him. With this a my foundation, I will exercise my heart and mind to walk before you even as I stand before you, so that my heart and mind will be continually refined by gazing upon the crucified and resurrected One. Because of this, I will be slow to pray for my enemies' judgment, but rather for their repentance.

I am not nor would I try to be more righteous than David, the man after your own heart. He prayed these prayers only when his enemies had backed him into a corner and were about to destroy him. Yet, even as he, I must look beyond myself and my personal safety, to the cause that would fall with me, even the mission to others you call me to serve. Then, I must pray this prayer of David's for your sake and those principles and people which you desire to call your own.

Righteous are you in all your judgments, and glorious is your salvation for all those who will repent and believe! Oh, that the wicked would turn to you!


Related reading:   Introduction to Praying the Psalms; Praying Psalm 1; Praying Psalm 2; Praying Psalm 3; Praying Psalm 4; Praying Psalm 5; Praying Psalm 6


No comments:

Post a Comment