Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Psalm 24


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.


Inspired by Creation, We Worship the Creator

Theme Verses: The earth is the LORD's, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein; For He hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods. (Ps. 24: 1-2)

O Father, when my heart contemplates your creation work, my heart is filled with awesome wonder. From the vastness of the seas and rivers, to the logically deceitful security of the ground beneath our feet, I see your provision and the need to trust you. For as dependant as we are upon them, if your power does not restrain their potential power, we would live in constant peril as floods and volcanoes testify. Our minds are so small when we try to comprehend all that there is to know! When I look and consider the heavens and galaxies of the universe I realize how minutely we understand all that you have created. (Ps. 90)

How often I find myself leaning upon my understanding, rather than trusting in yours. This is how you have designed our life upon this earth. For if I knew all that I would want to know at any one time, I would not come to seek you as much. I would not feel the need of resting and trusting in your almighty care so much. I would then fail to find your strength, for I would walk in the strength of my feeble understanding. Therefore, I rejoice in you by faith, for all the greatness of your creation is beyond me!

I rejoice even more as I contemplate the effects of sin, not only upon the Earth, but in the inward world of my will, my intellect, and my emotions. How often they react as storms and volcanoes, to threaten my destruction and bring conflicts in both my earthly and spiritual life.

Father, as I look into your Heavens, it reminds me of my staircase, the Lord Jesus Christ, called “the Way” into your Presence. As I climb this great Staircase by faith into your Presence, help me to be in harmony with what the Lord Jesus is. For as David meditates, one who would “….ascend into the hill of the LORD” must have apply spiritual principles to earthly circumstances to be welcomes by you for fellowship and worship.

I thank you for the blood of Christ and your Holy Word whereby my hands maybe cleansed and my heart made pure through the Holy Spirit’s illumination. I worship you because as Christ dwells in my heart by faith and his Spirit’s facilitates our fellowship, I am delivered from the deceit and falsehood of sin which seeks to separate You Lord God, me and my fellow men. What joy to know that in Jesus I have every spiritual blessing available to my experience (Eph. 1:3). What an unspeakable sense of peace I have as I stand in Christ’s righteousness. My salvation is made possible by Christ’s death on the cross of Calvary, the empty Tomb after his triumphant resurrection (1 Cor. 15;1-4,) and His intercession at your right hand in Heaven! How else can sinful man be at peace before you? How else can man seek you without being held back by our feelings of guilt and unworthiness? (John 3:19-21). 

But now, with joy I join in the great throng that is now seeking your presence in Christ and in the Spirit. The scene is upon Earth, with the worshipers in Jerusalem, just as when we assemble in the Local Church for worship. The last part of this hymn reminds me that assembling for worship is one thing, but to have fellowship in worship needs you Lord God must be with us. While I look forward to the time of coming into Your presence in Heaven itself, both myself and the others in the congregation behold your manifested presence! Therefore, even in this time of personal worship I pray with the Psalmist:

Lift up your heads, O ye gates; 

even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; 

and the King of glory shall come in. 

Who is this King of glory? 

The LORD of hosts, 

he is the King of glory. 

Psalm 24:9‑10 


Praise You Lord Jesus, who leads us in victory over sin and death even into Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment