Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Psalm 20: Personal and National Revival


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.

Psalm 20: Personal and National Revival

Theme Verse: “Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; 
but we will remember the name of the LORD our God” (Verse 7).


Father, as I begin each day, help me to remember yesterday’s blessings pronounced in the benedictions from worship services, or found in the encouraging devotions of the past. Let me not forget what you have done for me and for your people throughout the ages, for all your doings are worthy of remembrance. I thank and praise you for this Psalm’s call to the Israel to remember the benefits of true worship. Along with ancient Israel, how much trouble I get into when I try to approach you with my problems in mind rather than an attitude of thanksgiving, faith, and hope.

Indeed it is the pattern that our Lord Jesus taught us to follow, “Our Father Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.” To honor your name as holy is to pray with a heart stirred with remembrance of all the things you have done. Without this, my desire to show you my devotion dwindles, and my times of worship become mere ritual. As I keep in mind past blessings and victories, I can face the outside world’s threats to both my personal life and that of my country; I can find peace. Then I can intercede in faith remembering that while many others trust in brute weaponry, the true defense of a nation is its people trusting only you.

Remembering the frailty and failures of Israel that led to their collapse, empower me to seek your face for the revival of my nation. Be my defender and the source of peace for those whom we cherish. Continually renew and restore me, as well as our country, that I and my nation can progress the work you have called us to do.

Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And all that is within me,
Bless His Holy Name,
And forget not ALL His benefits!



No comments:

Post a Comment