Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Praying Psalm 1: The way of the Righteous


Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.

Psalm 1

“For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous:
but the way of the ungodly shall perish” 
(Psalm 1:6)


Holy Father God, I thank you for the Book of Psalms, for they are the inspired expressions of your ancient people, Israel. They prayed and sang them in worship to you through the experiences of their lives. Did you not inspire these writing so their heart experiences might be exercises and examples for our souls? So we might discern true godliness and reject ungodliness? Many of these Psalms are not only prayers of praise and petition, but of meditation, of recounting their experiences, fears and faith before you. Seldom did they know your answers at the time. Is not this the walk of faith you have called upon us to exercise? As Solomon was later wrote in Proverbs 2:5-6:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not to your own understanding,
But in all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct yours paths.

Father, Creator and Sovereign of all things, seen and unseen, I worship you for the privilege of calling you Father! I was formerly an alien and member of Adam's fallen race, the ungodly. You were more involved personally in giving me this privilege than even when you made all creation through your Living Word, the Lord Jesus Christ. How great to have you create me in your image, and then save me so that I can become an independent soul in willing subjection to you! You found it necessary to give your Exact Expression, the Word, as the God-man to die as my substitute taking the eternal death and punishment I deserved, all that through faith, I could be counted among the righteous.

Oh, Father, it is logically a mystery, especially to my era of positive thinking, why you inspired David to put the first step towards blessedness in the negative. For in the first verse of this preface to the Book of Psalms, you focus our minds upon the blessedness of separation from compromising relationships with the ungodly which might lead us to identify ourselves with them! O that I might fully understand and apply this principle! Help men ever to have a neutral attitude when I am among those who don't know you! How much your people need to always realize that evil influences must be rejected! For if it is tolerated, we will identify with it and so experience the cancerous effects of ungodliness, sin, and scorn. For if and when my soul absorbs these worldly wise things, the only way to free myself from corruption is repentance, confession, and cleansing through the blood of Jesus! Then, my heart can seek your face and establish a place of permanent rest and fellowship with you. As the words of pardon offered to the condemned are treasures above price, so those you forgive shine as lights to show new life free from eternal condemnation. Your words to the forgiven sinner are assurance that he has passed through the glory gate of Christ's almighty sacrifice into your presence. I love your words, for they are to me like the solid security of earth to the palm tree. They refresh my heart with as a stream of water bringing me into spiritual health and fruitfulness. So shall meditation of your Word in your presence illuminated by your Holy Spirit deliver me from the catastrophe of the wickedness and its self delusion. So shall I be able to stand and sing the songs of the redeemed through Christ in this life and in the heavenly congregation of the godly!

Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And all that is within me,
Bless Your Holy Name!
And forget not his benefits!


No comments:

Post a Comment