Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Praying Psalm 25


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.

Psalm 25

Lifting up one’s soul while waiting upon God 

Key Verses: Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul. Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; 
on thee do I wait all the day. (Verses 1, 4-5 KJV)

O Father, I praise and worship you alone on the basis of your mercy and righteousness, for both assurance of secure salvation and sanctification are given to those who lift up their souls to you in faith. I rejoice in the promises made in the Old Testament concerning Christ and His work within our souls, knowing that our personalities (Isaiah 44:1-5; 53:1-11; Jeremiah 31:32-33), have been fulfilled by His coming. These promises are being fulfilled in the changing of my soul-life.

As David expresses himself in this Psalm, my will is also set upon trusting you. For my intellect is given to your instruction, and my emotions long for their fulfillment in your fellowship. How else can one take up his cross to be a disciple (Matthew 10:38, 39)? What great fulfillment is mine each time You pull my feet out of the net of my immaturity and see the growth of fruit glorifying You (John 15;8; Galatians 2:20).

But until the time of “more” and “much fruit,” let me abide in you by seeking your face through fellowship and exercise of soul, even as David did in this Psalm. Although I am justified in Christ and am being sanctified in Him by the ministry of your Holy Spirit, I must exercise my heart in needed response! Let my heart be ever seeking you upon the basis of your mercy and righteousness. May my seeking ever be according to your promises centered in Christ, encouraged to seek you according to your righteousness and mercy as David did. I thank you that thereby my spirit can join with your Spirit in this holy partnership of transforming my soul.

Bless the Lord, oh, my soul! 
He accepts my seeking heart, 
Blending it with His own 
So that as one 
They may beat together forever. 


Related reading:  

Introduction to Praying the Psalms
Praying Psalm 1: The Way of the Righteous
Praying Psalm 2: Kiss the Son
Praying Psalm 3: God is My Shield
Praying Psalm 4: Let Me be Approved of Thee, O God
Praying Psalm 5: Renew a Right Spirit Within Me
Praying Psalm 6: When Weeping Leads to Victory
Praying Psalm 7: The Basis of Boldness
Praying Psalm 8: Worship in Admiration and Humility
Praying Psalm 9: Hope for the Oppressed
Praying Psalm 10: Deliverance from the Wicked
Praying Psalm 11: The Foundation of Life
Praying Psalm 12: Lamenting the Lack of Godliness
Praying Psalm 13: Faith's Triumph
Praying Psalm 14: Remembering We Are Sinners
Praying Psalm 15: Fellowship With God
Praying Psalm 16: God-Pleasing Godliness
Praying Psalm 17: Progression Sanctification
Praying Psalm 18: God's Power to Deliver
Praying Psalm 19: Witness for Worship
Praying Psalm 20: Personal and National Revival
Praying Psalm 21: Worship and Thanksgiving
Praying Psalm 22: The Hope of Christ - The Prophetic Vision
Praying Psalm 23: Daily Living with the Good Shepherd
Praying Psalm 24: Inspired by Creation, we worship the Creator


No comments:

Post a Comment