Search This Blog

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Praying Psalm 4: Let me be approved of Thee

Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.

Psalm 4

"Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness:
thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress;
have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer." (Verse 1)


O my Father, I give praise and thanksgiving for the reason to seek godliness which you have presented in this Psalm. All human beings desire acceptance by someone. Those who seek acceptance from men find the effort to be like quick sand. The more they seek it; the more they sink into insecurity and deterioration of values. When I seek the approval of another for my sense of self worth and self acceptance, I am influenced to accept their values and frame of reference. I find myself being tempted and falling into sin and selfishness. Lord, without you I can get mired down into corrupting compromise, but when I seek you for my self-worth and self acceptance, freedom and character building results. You are holy, righteous, and in love you accept sinners through Christ. In doing so, those who seek your approval are changed, not only by the desire to please you, but by the gift of your enabling Spirit. Your Holy Spirit imparts the life and character of the Lord Jesus to all who seek you and your righteousness in Him (2 Corinthians 3:17, 18).

O the joy, and sense of acceptance from you, and therefore, of myself. You inspired David to say that you have "…set apart…for yourself …him that is godly" (verse 3a). O, what security the godly find in you. Because of this, we can expect you to hear when we cry for mercy and deliverance in times of need. In this way, those who have become righteous through Jesus can claim acceptance in their own view as well.

Beyond the joy and acceptance that a person feels in the acceptance of one's mate, is joy when you "…lift up the light of your countenance upon us" (verse 6)! O the peace that is added in knowing we are "…accepted in the Beloved" both now and forever (Eph. 1:3-14).


Bless the Lord, O my soul,
For He will show me the path of life,
And in His presence is fullness of joy,
And at His right hand, pleasures forever more!




No comments:

Post a Comment