Search This Blog

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Psalm 5: Renew a Right Spirit Within Me


Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.

Psalm 5

"My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up (verse 3).


O Father, in the beginning of my day, I come to you to renew my faith and to rest in your loving everlasting arms. For even though I do not see my enemies, as David so often did as fierce warriors seeking his death, they are real never the less. For your Word reveals my enemies are spiritual beings, and the battlefields are thoughts and false reasoning (2 Cor. 10:4, 5). This conflict attacks not only my mind and spiritual life, but also those under my influence.

Strengthen me by your Spirit in the inner man, especially in regard for those whom I am responsible. My own battles can be won by the conquering of my own will, intellect, and emotions, over which I am responsible, but to win spiritual battles in the lives of those I serve is a far more difficult matte because you have chosen to make man in your image with sovereignty of choice. Therefore, there is an area in each man where no one else has, but influence.

Help me to renew my heart like David did in this Psalm. Help me to see You as King over all, even when evil assaults us. Struggling with evil becomes a refining fire. Help me to emotionally feel the heat, but to embrace by faith the fact your control will accomplish your purposes. As I renew my personal rejection of evil and self dependence, help me to feel the nearness of your enabling mercies.

As I enter the spiritual conflicts of this day, Father, make your way for me straight and clear before my spiritual eyes, even though I now see as in a fog. Help me to grasp your hand by faith and joyfully fellowship with you through the power of your Holy Spirit. You, who cannot lie, have promised never to leave me, nor forsake me. Therefore, direct my foot steps as I lean not upon my own understanding, but only trust and acknowledge you. I shelter in your favor as a shield, believing you reward and protect those who seek your face in the midst of spiritual battles.

Bless the Lord, O my soul! He daily gives life, hope and abundant benefits!


No comments:

Post a Comment