Search This Blog

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Praying Psalm 31: Humbly Waiting on God


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.

Psalm 31
Humbly Waiting on God

Theme Verses: “But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. 
My times are in thy hand” (Psalm 31:14-15a KJV)


O Father, I give thanks and praise for this record of David's overcoming faith as he faced his troubles and frustrations. The faith and comfort that you gave him are a basis for me to find hope when my heart is torn. O my LORD, I know that my flesh is as potentially evil as any man's, and that in the midst of your blessings, I can drop my guard and fall victim to sin, even as David did (1 Corinthians 10:12). It is purely by faith I take up my cross to crucify my sinful nature by reaffirming my faith union with Your Son (Luke 9:23, 24; Romans 6:1-5, 11-16; Galatians 2:20; 5:16-25). Father, I also fear my flesh, for its bent to immorality and contentiousness; its basic impulses are to be self- reliant and not to wait upon you in all things, even my service for you. Therefore, let me not only hope in your mercies that keep me from disgraceful sinning when I am too weak to resist, but in your enabling grace to overcome my sinful willing (Romans 5:20; 6:12-14, 22; Galatians 2:19-21). Give me the perseverance of your grace to enable me to keep on sowing in the Spirit, until your time of reaping is at hand (1 Corinthians 15:10; Galatians 6:9, 10).

Blessed be God, Who also will do it!


Related reading:
Praying Psalm 1: The Way of the Righteous
Praying Psalm 2: Kiss the Son
Praying Psalm 3: God is My Shield
Praying Psalm 4: Let Me be Approved of Thee, O God
Praying Psalm 5: Renew a Right Spirit Within Me
Praying Psalm 6: When Weeping Leads to Victory
Praying Psalm 7: The Basis of Boldness
Praying Psalm 8: Worship in Admiration and Humility
Praying Psalm 9: Hope for the Oppressed
Praying Psalm 10: Deliverance from the Wicked
Praying Psalm 11: The Foundation of Life
Praying Psalm 12: Lamenting the Lack of Godliness
Praying Psalm 13: Faith's Triumph
Praying Psalm 14: Remembering We Are Sinners
Praying Psalm 15: Fellowship With God
Praying Psalm 16: God-Pleasing Godliness
Praying Psalm 17: Progression Sanctification
Praying Psalm 18: God's Power to Deliver
Praying Psalm 19: Witness for Worship
Praying Psalm 20: Personal and National Revival
Praying Psalm 21: Worship and Thanksgiving
Praying Psalm 22: The Hope of Christ - The Prophetic Vision
Praying Psalm 23: Daily Living with the Good Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment