Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Praying Psalm 46: The Disciple's Refuge


Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.

“God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear though the earth should change…” (Psalm 46:1 NASB)

“Cease striving and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of host is with us; the God of Jacob is our Stronghold.” (Psalm 46:10,11)


Lord, in this time of terrorism, economic upheaval, and socio-political change and unrest, and in my own times of worry, fear, loss, need, and confusion, I know that You are the protected place, my refuge. You are the source of support that keeps my soul safe and confident. Your word tells me so:

Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling.
(Psalm 46:2,3)

You are like a fortified city where there is refreshing water that renews me with power to praise You. You are in control of the chaos and change around me and within my personal sphere of life. Your word assures me:

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. (Psalm 46:4,5)

Help me, Lord God, to stop mulling all this over, trying to solve problems, and be on top of everything. Help me to cease striving and surrender myself to You, trusting and resting in the fact of Who You are: the Lord over all the powerful and the powerless. I take comfort from your word:

Come and see what the LORD has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. (Psalm 46:8-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment