Search This Blog

Monday, February 29, 2016

Praying Hebrews 3:6-19





Being Fully Persuaded

By Edward F. Lundwall,Jr.


“Christ was faithful as a Son over His house…whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end.” (Hebrews 3:6)

“For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end.” (Hebrews 3:14)


Dear Lord, 

The strong Greek verb katanoew, translated here as “hold fast” calls me to meditate once and for all on Jesus Christ, and to let this constant, exclusive focus on Him govern all other considerations. I praise and thank You for this promise that I belong to His house if I hold fast my confidence in Him.

When I truly consider Jesus and all that He is, I make “the once and for all” decision to be fully persuaded! I burn all other bridges in determination to find that perfection of love that “casts out fears” as Peter said, “To whom shall we go; You ARE the Christ!” (John 6:69).

“Do not harden your hearts as when they provoked me as in the day to trial in the wilderness” (Hebrews 3:8) “...to whom did He swear they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.” (18-19)

“Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls way from the living God.” (Verse 12)

Almighty God and Creator, I cannot help but believe that mankind has an awesome responsibility to trust in You. I thank you that you are greater than my sinful nature, and that the sacrificial death of Christ for the forgiveness of my sin has supremacy over all sin. Help me to comprehend and feel the tragedy and loss of those who have not heard, considered, and been persuaded; they cannot enter the rest, the peace of knowing they belong to you and with you for eternity. As with Israel of the Exodus, the Lord Jesus, and the Apostles, you proved your power with miraculous deeds and signs that have no other explanation but that You were at work on behalf of mankind. Please, Lord, bring others to a faith played out in obedience to your Word. May they be fully persuaded by your mighty works, your sanctifying Scripture, and your Holy Spirit’s witness. Thank you for the peace and rest that only comes from “holding fast” to You.


No comments:

Post a Comment