Search This Blog

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Praying Psalm 17


Edward F. Lundwall Jr.


Psalm 17
Petition Progressive Sanctification

Theme Verse: “Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.” (Verse 8)


Father, great is the mystery of godliness, not only in the person and ministry of your Son, but in my heart! For, Lord, as with David of old, I know you are and you reward those who diligently seek you (Hebrews 11:6). I experience agony when the forces of ungodliness assault me. Also, it is agony when my prayers and heart burdens seem so long being answered. They seem but to return to my own bosom!

Yet, O LORD, I thank and praise you in the midst of life's conflicts. I can let them reinforce my heart dependence upon you. Just like David, author of this Psalm, I must continually search my heart, because my flesh, my old sinful nature, is so deceptive. I think my ambitions are so ideal, but often find them incomplete in scope and application. Therefore, they are unworkable. Too often my frustration in seeing the fulfillment of these ideals comes from my laziness and lack of discipline, my pride, or my lack of committing my times into your hands.

Worst of all, I so often miss your finger pointing to something in my life for removal or up-building, things I discern dimly but want to ignore. I so often miss the greatest sweetness of fellowship that comes from the sharing of just being together with you in the midst of need. I am so blessed as I seek to be in the realm of your Spirit! To be where my flesh will be progressively crucified and your likeness appears in my life! To feel the Holy Spirit’s sacred witness with mine as your child by the sacrificial work of Calvary! How blessed is the united fellowship of your Trinity. For in the LORD Jesus, I rely on you as the God of resurrection, of promises, and of visions deferred. May I ever experience progressive transformation as I bare my heart’s pains before you, and fellowship with You with heart searching and reaffirmation of faith in final victory and your nearness (2 Cor. 3:17, 18).

Blessed be the LORD, who daily works all things together after the counsel of his own will that I might bear my Savior's likeness!


Related reading: Praying Psalm 1; Praying Psalm 2; Praying Psalm 3; Praying Psalm 4; Praying Psalm 5; Praying Psalm 6; Praying Psalm 7, Praying Psalm 8; Praying Psalm 9; Praying Psalm 10; Praying Psalm 11; Praying Psalm 12; Psalm 13; Psalm 14; Psalm 15



No comments:

Post a Comment