Search This Blog

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Praying Psalm 8: Worship in Admiration and Humility


Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.


Psalm 8

Theme Verse: “What is man, that thou art mindful of him? 
And the son of man, that thou visitest him?” (Verse 6)


O Father, as it ever is, when man lifts his eyes to look at the stars and asks the question in heartfelt honesty, "Who made the Heavens and the Earth? And wonders at the vastness of space and all its complexities where did they come from?" Where can he go but to you? Where can he go, but to the God of the Bible? There are more reasons than I can number, but when I truly and fully come to You in the Spirit and in faith, only one reason is needed---the witness of Your Spirit within my spirit! In a family, a child never asks its father, "Do you exist? Do you really love me?" when he rests in its father's loving arms. So it is when Your Spirit gives me the ability to utter from the depths of my being, "Father!"

When You, Abba, call me to walk by faith alone, I thank you for the help I receive by looking at your wondrous Creation. For then, I am as a child of the King, walking through his palace grounds, viewing the evidence of the King's greatness. Then, as I near the throne room, it is easier to proclaim, "He is!" and "He is my Father, and I am his child adopted by his choosing!" Therefore, I come to you with singing in my heart and in humble gratitude of my soul!

After this, when I look at myself and other men, I join my voice with the Psalmist, "What is man that You, Lord, have made him master of all the earth and his means of livelihood?" Yet if we do not depend upon you, our management of what you have given us so often ends in abuse, disaster, and even war. Please, enable myself and others to humble ourselves under your almighty hand. and receive and practice the wisdom only you can give as we rest in faith upon our Savior’s work of salvation on our behalf. It is only then that we can have peace and joy, and a sense of belonging.


O LORD, our Lord,
How excellent is Your Name in all the Earth!


No comments:

Post a Comment