Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Taking Your Spiritual Temperature


Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.

Vital to being a true disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, is checking the condition of our spiritual health on a regular basis. “And if any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.  But if any man loves God, the same is known of him.” (1 Corinthians 8:2-3)  Use this brief exercise to diagnosing your condition and relationship with God on a regular basis.

I.  List and describe the five worse conflicts/sins with which you struggle.

     Read 1 John 1:19
     Visualize Jesus blood washing them away. 
     Read Revelation 20:12
     Visualize the consequences and punishment you will not have to face with them washed away.
     Read Psalm 50:23
     Thank the Lord for providing such a gracious and merciful escape.


II. List and describe the five areas of your life which you want the Lord to change.

     Read Psalm 139
     Visualize ways you might use each area to give the Lord total credit (glory) and honor (praise).


III. Entrust each area to God knowing that He can and wills to bring blessing to and through them.
     Read Luke 7:36-48
     Imagine each area as an expensive and precious gift of ointment
     Visualize yourself pouring it out on the Lord to transform and use.
     Read John 4:21
     Anticipate the beauty and blessing that God will bring out of what you have given Him.


True spiritual health is based on giving your all to and for the Person who loves you most completely, and whom you love the most. “Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.” (1 Peter 1:8, 9)

Celebrate God’s love for you and your love for Him by reading this old hymn aloud.

My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine;
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign;
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

I love Thee because Thou hast first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree;
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

I’ll love Thee in life, I will love Thee in death,
And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath;
And say when the death dew lies cold on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

In mansions of glory and endless delight,
I’ll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright;
I’ll sing with the glittering crown on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.


 William R. Featherton, 1864



No comments:

Post a Comment