Search This Blog

Monday, May 8, 2017

Melchizedek a Type of Christ (Hebrews 7)

Artist rendering of Melchizedek
For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” (Hebrews 7:1, 2)

I offer praise and thanksgiving for the type of Christ revealed in the person and ministry of Melchizedek. The story reminds me that Jesus is my King of righteousness. I am reminded that in Him I am made righteous, cleansed from my sins. For He took the guilt of our sins and put to death our sinful nature (Rom. 7:23-8:1-9).

Therefore, Jesus is the King of peace as I invite Him live in me (Gal. 2:20). As a believer I am made free from the domination of sin by faith persuasion (John 8:31-35) to walk with Him in the light of His Word (Ps. 119:9-11). Thereby, my character is changed.

Melchizedek’s bringing of bread and wine reminds me of the communion I enjoy with Jesus, our bread of life. His blood brings refreshment and forgiveness.

As Melchizedek came to Abraham after the defeat of his enemies, I am reminded that after the believer’s battle of life is over, Jesus takes us to the glorious place He went to prepare for us, that we might joyfully dwell in God’s eternal presence.

“In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.” Ps. 16:11

Hallelujah, what a Savior!

Related reading: Who Was Melchizedek?Praying Hebrews 6; Praying Hebrews 5: The Disciple's Constant Companion; Praying Hebrews 3: Jesus Our Great High Priest; Praying Hebrews 3:6-19; Praying Hebrews 4:1-3; Praying Hebrews 4:5-8; Praying Hebrews 4:4-16; Praying Hebrews 5:1-4; Praying Hebrews 5:5,6: The Disciples' Pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment