Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Praying Through Hebrews: The Disciple’s Perfect Priest


Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  Hebrews 4:14-16

Dear Holy God,

Ever since humanity became separated from You because of sin, we people have sought to bridge the gap between us. We have looked to priests, pastors, spiritual leaders of all kinds to stand in the chasm between us to help us understand you, know you, and make intercession for us. However, even Aaron, the first priest of Israel, and his sons, were only fallible sinners unable to hold us tightly in a faith relationship with you, and throughout the years even to the present, others spiritual leaders have become greedy for power and wealth, and prideful of their own opinions; as apostates they only widen the chasm between our sinfulness and your holiness. Yet You, Most Merciful Lord, have provided the Lord Jesus, Your Holy Incarnate Son, as our great high priest. His sacrifice for our sin; his victory over death; and his presence at the right hand of your very throne makes Him an infallible bridge over that chasm! He is forever truly Emmanuel---God with us!

I praise You, Most Holy Father, for this great and gracious mystery: That Christ sympathizes with our weaknesses. Because He lived as one of us, He can intercede passionately for us. Since He experience Satan’s urging to enjoy, do. and be beyond Your will for Him as a human, Jesus knows my tearing weakness. Thank You that He not only understands when I fail, but also pleads for my forgiveness, and provides ways for me to escape those same temptations when they become too much for me (I Corinthians 10:13).

Oh, help me through Your Spirit to continually visualize Him and His power and His unfailing access to You. Grant me the empowering grace in dealing with others that Jesus had in this world. Only then will my profession and practice be ever strong, faithful and honoring to You. Indeed, I trust in Who my High Priest is, and rest upon where He stands ever advocating for me.

“Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me: bless His Holy Name.” Psalm 103:1


No comments:

Post a Comment