Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Praying Hebrews 4:1-3



By Edward F. Lundwall, Jr.


“Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the words they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard. 3 For we, who have believed, enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in my wrath, they shall not enter my rest” although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.”’

O Lord, I thank and praise you for whatever means you used bring me to faith in the Lord Jesus and the good news (Gospel) of eternal life’s availability through his sacrifice on the cross. You are the Creator of all things, and your divine creativity uses as many different things to bring people to you as there are different people. All are unique.

In my case, I thank you for parents that believed, my father’s consistent witness of your reality, and for the conviction that the Holy Bible is your infallible Word. I thank you for faithful pastors like Pastor Bennegier who preached sermons that persuaded me to believe the Gospel as a historical reality making it possible to trust in Christ’s death, burial and resurrection as the means of my salvation. I am so grateful this happened while I was still a thirteen-year old still with a child’s heart to believe (Matthew 18:3). I saw your salvation through Christ as an open door. I praise you for the Holy Spirit’s prompting me and guiding me and others to walk through that open door to experience the peace (rest) of living in your presence (Revelation 3:10; John 10:9)

Father, I thank You for the substance and essence of my rest in the Person and work of Your Son. What greater security can there be when Jesus is the revelation of Almighty God in human flesh. Oh, the wonder of the value of His sacrifice for us. For as Immanuel (God with us) He is of infinite value. So the rest you offer through Him is of infinite value. I rejoice in a complete rest in Him, for not only what was death by decree and volition, but how your plan came to its glorious completion with the empty tomb. Thank you, Heavenly Father, that Jesus intercedes and is preparing a place in the new heavenly Jerusalem for all who belong to You. How glorious to anticipate and rest in the persuasive promises of this from Christ himself (John 14:1-3).

Almighty God, thank you for being the all-powerful Interactive Creator set in motion the plan of redemption before the history of man. You called me through the circumstances of my life into an eternal rest through faith in Christ. You still seek to grant this great salvation to whoever will come and enter the Door to receive the precious promises you offer. May they come, Lord. May they enter your rest.

Related reading: Praying Hebrews 3:6-19


No comments:

Post a Comment