Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Distinctive Disciple’s Desire

We are thankful for Ed's service to God and Country.

Edward F. Lundwall. Jr.

Praying Hebrews 6:1-3:

“Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits.” (Hebrews 6:1-3)


Oh, Lord, how I thank you for your exhortation for believers can go on to maturity in their faith and the practice of that faith. You, not only urge us, but you provide for us through your instruction book, the Holy Bible, the ways our minds can be filled with your thoughts and our souls can be transformed by your Holy Spirit. Your purpose is clear: You desire us to know You through the Person and saving work of Christ Jesus, and in doing so become more like Him reflecting your glory.

I praise You that the basic of your gospel revelation MUST occupy my thoughts as a seeking and overcoming sinner, because this elementary phase bring me to truly committed conversion faith. However, I know that this is not your ultimate end. Much more lays ahead to bring me to maturity in my relationship with you. That is only the nursing, toddler stage of my life of faith; I need to learn to walk, talk, learn, and grow as your adopted child. Thank you, Lord that through every circumstance Your Spirit tries to apply this revelation to change my soul into Christ’s likeness (2 Corinthians 3:17-18). I know it is wrong and self-depriving for the believer to stay in a spiritually baby state. Beyond the nursery wall, there is the great outdoors of Your palace, workshops, treasure houses and Your Kingdom Empire. This Kingdom is where spiritual battles are to be won, liberating Satan’s captives, bringing many children into Your Glorious Kingdom. Even though one can hardly describe the blessedness of first knowing Christ. how wondrous is being translated from the power of darkness into Your Son’s Kingdom of light (Colossians 1:13), changing our approach to You from: “God have mercy!” or “God, I’m going my own way!” to “Father, what would You have me to do?” As glorious as this beginning of new life in Christ is, You God have many wonderful things for me to experience that are beyond imagination and have granted me the rest of eternity to know and experience them (Ephesians 2:7).
 
Lord God, I am so blessed at age 86 by your loving desire to change my thinking and living so that I might more fully understand the greatness of what you have done for me in Christ. I am truly grateful for having experience through my many years the complete adequacy of Christ, and glimpsing the panorama of your loving heart for both me and others. The joy and satisfaction of walking in Christ as my Savior by faith instills in me a sense of walking in Heaven’s palaces here on earth. I thank You for the ability of resting in Christ that gives me a peace that indeed passes all understanding.

I praise You that this rest in Christ’s sufficiency liberates me from self-righteous works, but transforms good works into acts of love and gratitude towards Your person through Your Son. Lord, help me to heed Your exhortation to go on to maturity that I may appreciate Your treasures and fruitful life from You (John 15:1-8). Continue to help me do what I do in Your Name to glorify You, Jesus, and Your Word to men as well as all the principalities in the Heavens (Ephesian 3:10), and grant that I might impart this orientation to other disciples. even through this blog, as You give me in the power of Your Spirit and Word (Hebrews 13:20, 21). Give me the discernment not to teach beyond what my hearers will receive through Your work in them and after I have challenged them, let me rest in you as you change their hearts…step by step, gathering your growing, maturing children into your loving embrace.


No comments:

Post a Comment