Growth of a Faithful
A Booklet Series on Building Faith and Spiritual Life
By Chaplain Edward Lundwall, US Navy, Ret.
Introduction: The Purpose of the Growth of a Faithful Series
In addition to learning spiritual principles and precepts, these booklets designed to aid in learning the books of the Bible, learn to analyze Bible texts, disciplining thought processes by writing out answers, develop skills, confidence in sharing, thinking with others to find a consensus of understanding, communicate in love, avoid the habit of hasty and over generalizing in thinking and communicating. These benefits can better be used a disciples fellowship group (2 Timothy 2:2; 1 Corinthians 14:29-33), because their benefits are seldom learned by lecture.
Spiritual life, as all life, has design for growth from one level to another climaxing in becoming reproductive. One purpose of the church and disciple-making is to so edify its members so that they grow continuously from being babes that need spiritual milk feedings to being meat-eating, reproducing leaders. The Scripture teaches that each level of growth has its special needs and limitations. Spiritual teachers must learn to identify on what level of spiritual growth level those to whom they minister have attained in order to teach principles and precepts that are needed at that level (John 21:15-17; Heb. 5:12-14).
The Growth of a Faithful study booklets are designed to meet the needs of seven levels of spiritual growth. The first three categories are intake areas of spiritual life---the Word of God, prayer, and fellowship. The second three subject precepts develop through expression---ministry, character, and faith. The last principle of development is learning through edifying authority (Heb. 13:7, 17). The one great need to mature from one level to another is an open teachable attitude coupled with an earnest desire to live as Christ’s committed disciple.
The first study booklet addresses the needs of foundational precepts. These precepts must be comprehended and accepted to begin to live as a Christian, to grow to be faithful, and to be accepted as Christ’s “disciples in deed” (Matt 25:21; John 8:31). The study series is adopted from 2 Timothy 2:2: “And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
Book One – Acceptance of Foundational Precepts
This study book has following seven foundational teachings for the new believer:
1. The first study endeavors to build understandings and convictions about God’s Word. They give the basis of certainty for spiritual life, “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;” (Titus 1:2).
2. The second study addresses the foundations for prayer. Learning to pray brings the individual into personal fellowship with God. Learning how to approach God must be on the basis that God provides.“…Lord, teach us to pray …” (Luke 11:1).
3. The third study speaks about the basis of fellowship with God and others. “…that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ” (1 John 1:3)
4. The fourth study deals with principles of growth through an attitude of ministry. “And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.” (2 Corinthians 5:15)
5. The fifth lesson speaks about principles of growing by exercise of character development. “For whosoever will save his (soul) life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his (soul) life for my sake, the same shall save it.” (Luke 9:24)
6. The sixth lesson lays foundations for the exercise of faith. “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6).
7. The seventh lesson orients the student to God’s provision for spiritual shepherds (pastor), “who will naturally care for your state” (Philippians 2:20).
This first study booklet in the series Growth of a Faithful may be purchased singly for $2.50 or in packages of five for $10.00 by sending a money order or check donation to: